2014 Permaculture Calendar is Out! Would you like one?

1309 permaculture calendar - 1

Huzzah. The 2014 Permaculture Calendar is out – and it’s a beauty. This year, it even includes a funky (and very useful) moon planting guide within.

In celebration of this fine publication, we’ve got a few copies to pass on…

1309 permaculture calendar - 2

1309 permaculture calendar - 3

1309 permaculture calendar - 4

1309 permaculture calendar - 5

Designed with the ever-elegant touch of Richard Telford, the 2014 Permaculture Calendar is a sweet and useful friend that we’re looking forward to having in our kitchen next year.

The 2014 edition includes images from across the planet of people living like they mean it. Growing, learning, teaching, digging and doing. Simply. And well.

It will make you smile. And also remind you when to plant stuff.

The calendars are a bloody bargain and by purchasing one, you’re helping ensure that Richard’s very fine and also useful Permaculture Principles website keeps on truckin.

By purchasing 10 copies, you’ll be single-handedly nudging your entire office towards an effective backyard veggie planting regime. There is no downside here!

And, in the spirit of fair share, 10% of each calendar purchase goes to Permafund, which makes grants available for activities that demonstrate the ethics and application of permaculture.

Might we also add that the moon calendar applies (of course) across the globe… so while this calendar was produced in Australia (on recycled paper and with 100% renewable energy), it’s info is just as relevant in Greenland. Or wherever you are.

You can grab a copy of the 2014 Permaculture Calendar here…

We think you should have this friend in your kitchen too! Thanks to Richard, we’ve got 2 copies of the calendar to give away.

Comment below with what you’re planting this Spring that you haven’t planted before, and we’ll choose two lucky folks (randomly) next Monday to win a calendar each.

1309 permaculture calendar - 1

1. Posted September 10, 2013 at 6:13 am | Permalink | Reply

So many new-to-me plants this spring because I went a bit mad with the seed catalogue: lots of bee-friendly flowers, and asparagus, artichokes (both kinds), ice plant(!?), welsh walking onions, long neck gourd, watermelons and scallopini, oil seed pumpkin, kaanga ma corn…

2. Posted September 10, 2013 at 6:14 am | Permalink | Reply

It certainly does look like a beauty and I would live to win one. I am yet to try planting using a moon chart. We are planting an elderberry tree this spring. I like the idea of being able to use the berries for jam and the flowers for wine. Other than that we are planting what we normally plant as that is what we like to eat.

3. jess
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 6:27 am | Permalink | Reply

the neighbouring orchard just did some road work and left a berm of subsoil along the boundary. Going to whack some Dahlias, Buddleia, Aloes etc in there for the birds and insects.

4. heather krcha
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 6:35 am | Permalink | Reply

The season is turning to fall in the states, and I’m going to try my hand at broccoli, squash, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts (to start!). What a beautiful calendar! :)

5. Posted September 10, 2013 at 6:53 am | Permalink | Reply

Good morning Milkwood crew. This calendar does look like a beauty! This spring I am growing snake beans and summer squash for the first time. Both are looking good so far. Happy gardening to you!

6. Emma
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 7:03 am | Permalink | Reply

We have nearly finished converting our veggie ‘paddock’ to raised beds so with 30 massive beds now (instead of grass and weeds) I am throwing all sorts of things in. Looking forward to seeing how the hamburg rooted parsley goes and what salsify tastes like.

7. Alacoque
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 7:26 am | Permalink | Reply

I’m planting loofah and hoping it will grow over our inner city fence! I just love the idea of growing something for food AND utility!

8. Posted September 10, 2013 at 8:03 am | Permalink | Reply

I’m planting the seeds for a new level of community spirit in North West Tasmania, to start at an individual level and grow into a major force doing all we can to combat climate change.

9. Posted September 10, 2013 at 8:06 am | Permalink | Reply

I’m growing turkey tail mushrooms to make tea. They are apparently very good in helping me to fight cancer.

10. Posted September 10, 2013 at 8:24 am | Permalink | Reply

I’ve just put in raspberry canes and rhubarb for the first time. It’s my first nonherb perennial foray.

11. Posted September 10, 2013 at 8:28 am | Permalink | Reply

I’m growing paste tomatoes this year I’ve never grown them before and baby capsicums :) I’ve grand ambitions on making my own tomato and pasta sauce!

12. Posted September 10, 2013 at 8:32 am | Permalink | Reply

Artichoke. I have no idea what to do with it, but I thought I would give it a go :)

• karenh
      Posted September 11, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

Barcelona fried artichokes – take out the choke and peel off the tough outer bits. Thinly slice your artichoke and marinate it in olive oil, lemon juice and garlic. Saute, served with fresh chopped parsley and parmesan cheese.

13. Posted September 10, 2013 at 8:50 am | Permalink | Reply

We’ve just bought our first house, with a giant swathe of untended ground out the back, so we’re currently planning to plant ALL THE THINGS. Well, after a nice crop of legumes to enrich the topsoil we’re going to have to bring in. But I still can’t wait for my veggie garden; we’ll probably be at least growing potted tomatoes and herbs while we wait.

14. Katherine
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 9:23 am | Permalink | Reply

Grape vines and avos.

15. Janet McConaughey
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 10:04 am | Permalink | Reply

I live in Wisconsin and it gets very cold here,as. Low as -30 F some winters. We can have loads of snow some years. I read about growing figs in cold climes and after 4years, I got figs on my tree. It may be that none of them ripen. I’ll have to wait and see. Janet

16. Diana
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 10:10 am | Permalink | Reply

I just started some seeds of welsh onions, red russian kale, and lime lettuce. I live in a mild climate and Fall is right around the corner, so I am always planting new seeds!

17. Sally Witt
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 10:21 am | Permalink | Reply

This spring I would like to plant some tomatoes, herbs & something to make nice tea. I live on an Army base in Darwin, NT so only have a little verandah to put a few pots on, but would like to be able to pick some fresh leaves for tea, & take fresh herbs & tomatoes to my friends houses when we do dinners. I’d love to try planting by the moon, so they have the best chance of growing successfully :)

18. Claire
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink | Reply

I’m starting out and have just prepared a possum-proof-patch at my new house. I’m planting lots of herbs (sooo expensive in the shops, and I use a lot of them), lettuce and tomatoes – staples of my diet in spring/summer!

19. Lovisa Bray
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink | Reply

I am planting okra and an heirloom tomato called Emerald Apple. So far the seeds have germinated and I have some healthy looking seedlings.

20. Lynell Rosenberg
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

After moving from the city to a small country town, we find ourselves with a one acre plot full of burrs, prickles & cat’s eyes (or three corner jacks as they’re also known…OUCH ). We want to grow our own vegetables & fruit so we’ve set out 4 garden beds, yet we’re unsure of what plants to grow when, & what seeds to sow. We seem to be stuck & aren’t sure what to do next….
    To us the Permaculture Calendar would be an absolute Godsend :-D

21. Posted September 10, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m planting some Asian pears and I intended to be around to eat them too. I’ll be 66 this Spring. My Permaculture Humble Jungle along with my chooks gives me reason to get up in the morning and greet the day. Peace Grammy

22. Cheryl S
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m starting off my first mushroom growing kit and dividing up some comfrey I found in the hope it will be useful for me to trade at my first food swap soon!

23. sharon gibson
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Today I’m planting capsicum, trombocino, jicama, beans and corn!
    Tomorrow Fruit trees tropical peach, mulberry and lots of pigeon pea!

24. Chila Green
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

I am planting a bee and butterfly friendly garden.

25. Peta Hudson
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

As I’m working with sand, yes sand not sandy soil, in the south of the South Island of Aotearoa/NZ, I need all the help I can get! So this year, to up the nitrogen and organic matter, I’ve broadcast in the forest garden, white clover, tic beans and white lupin. New edibles are an apricot (stone fruit does well in these conditions) and cuttings of a perennial sprouting broccoli and a pumpkin called Southern Blue from our local seed exchange. May the seasond be kind!

26. Maree Swan
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

I have planted sun flowers for the first time and cannot wait for them to erupt from the soil.Fingers crossed they all sprout. Got to love Spring!!

27. Posted September 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

My chooks are just helping me get the new vege garden cleared of weeds but my new plant this spring is beetroot. I have got into eating this from local markets recently for both the roots and the cooked green (red) tops! I have also just bought lots of indigenous species this afternoon for a yellow and purple butterfly garden like one of the other commenters! Love the look of the calendar.

28. Cazzz Henderson
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

As we have a very tiny yard I have experimented with espaliering varies fruit trees cherries, quince, fig plus I planted a row of 12 heritage apples and pear trees as a Belgian fence, we had over 4 kg of apples this year, planning to set up 4 garden beds for vegetables; at the moment i have left self sown silver beet to grow till those beds are made. we have been picking silver beet and kale herbs each night for dinner. i would love to recieve one of your calendars

29. Posted September 10, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

Jerusalem artichokes and ice-cream bean (plus all sorts of others – orders from many seed companies!)

30. michelle
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m planting paprika capsicums – to hopefully make my own paprika for the year!

31. Loura
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’m going to plant Honeyberries, Goji berries, artichokes and a medicinal herb garden!

32. Posted September 10, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

New things I’m planting this spring – globe artichokes, French melons, royal blue potatoes and a Tasmanian mountain pepper…. So far at least! :)

33. Jo
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

I am finally going to plant beas and peans on a tripod off privet off-cuts. I have been meaning to do it for many springs, this one its going to happen. I have also put some asparagus in the ground, and am loving it tenderly and patiently. I have never moon planted, but always heard good things. Jo

34. Posted September 10, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

planting small-scale grains for the first time!

35. Posted September 10, 2013 at 10:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ll be planting out some sweet basil and sage this spring. :)

36. Posted September 11, 2013 at 5:11 am | Permalink | Reply

This spring we are going to attempt to actually eat some vegetables from our vegetable garden. We plan on doing this by foiling the possums and wallabies. They rule the night, we clean up after them in the day but not THIS YEAR! This year we slaved through autumn and winter while they feasted on the last of our Summer crops…we dug holes in ceramic hard clay, we concreted in poles, we sweltered and we twitched…we got free ex-fish farm netting from around the corner (no landfill AND no possums) and we are making a tennis court sized fully enclosed veggie garden. Last year we had a bean cube…a metre by a metre was all the possums and their greedy little paws would let us have but this year they can trampoline to their hearts content but all they will get is seasick. I am contemplating setting up a camp stretcher on the very first lovely clear summer evening. I want to lay there in my sleeping bag with a thermos of hot tea watching the possums landing and launching into the stratosphere and I will know that my job here is at least semi-done…

37. Kelly Lus
    Posted September 11, 2013 at 9:25 am | Permalink | Reply

I have recently planted some blueberry bushes as my son eats them by the bucket load. I put in 3 different varieties and they already have started to bud up. I also dabbled in a bit of companion planting last year with borage, nasturtiums and marigolds so I plan to continue experimenting there as well.
    I have been planting by the moon for the last 2 seasons and have had great success. I have previously purchased seedlings from the shops and found the quality just wasn’t the same. Having the moon planting guide in a calendar format would be fantastic!! I do like the chart I normally get but it is rather big.

38. Posted September 11, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink | Reply

I am new to permaculture and am planting loads of new things but the most exciting for me is the masses of Comfrey I hope to plant!

39. Posted September 11, 2013 at 11:07 am | Permalink | Reply

We are excited about our new loganberry plant this Spring

40. Moira McCaul
    Posted September 11, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

I have become a little overexcited about tomatoes and have seed trays in my mini green house with 5 different types of heritage varieties, I have also planted 2 different kinds of cucumber seeds, which I haven’t grown before, and heritage zucchinis which are new to me. Also trialing growing from seed eggplant, okra and a few different kinds of chillis. I planted all these seeds last Monday and quite a few are up already, Wish me luck!

• Posted September 16, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink | Reply

Moira, you won a calendar! Yay you. Let us know if you don’t get an email from us through today?

41. 'Deadly' Dave Welsh.
    Posted September 11, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

Today I planted the native plants Bursaria spinosa (Black Thorn), Podocarpus elatus (Illawarra Plum), Cotriobatus pauciflorus (Orange Thorn), Diospyros australis (Black Plum), Planchonella australis (Black Apple), Acacia falcata (Sickle Wattle), Acacia melanoxylon (Blackwood), Dodonea viscosa (Hop Bush), Callistemon salignus, Schizomeria ovata (Native Crab Apple), Elaeodendron australe and Polycias elegans (Celery Wood). I’m building a windbreak/corridor of mostly natives as part of my Food Forest for Fun and Learning at the Bellambi Neighborhood Centre, north of Wollongong City. I mostly grow perennials and between them annuals, herbs, vines and groundcovers. My Food Forest is for everyone. Just ring 0402508040 for a free tour and ask for ‘Deadly’ Dave Welsh!

42. Posted September 11, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

How wonderful! Almost Autumn here, but I am going to try my hand at growing Madder next year. (I am a beginning natural dyer & would like to grow it for it’s lovely red-giving roots)

43. Posted September 12, 2013 at 11:00 am | Permalink | Reply

Sunflowers! I’ve dug a bed around the front fence of our corner block and sown sunflowers to make people smile! Out back in the veggie dept’ I’m sowing corn (possibly ‘painted mountain’) in a dedicated maize bed first time ever (inspired by the milk wood harvest last season). Also planting a few fruit trees, taking out the camellias and replacing them with guavas, (pineapple and chilean and mountain varieties), all of which should keep our tummies and the kids happy:).

44. Posted September 12, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

This spring I’ve planted dozens of things I haven’t planted before and I have more to go. I’ve planted (well put pots in the pond) of water chestnut and water hawthorn, as well as many other habitat pond plants. I’ve planted raspberries, strawberries (although I tried them last year too), I have mangle wurzels to plant out, rainbow chard from seed (I bought seedlings last year), everlasting spinach, painted corn, tromboncino zucchinis, goji berries, eidelweiss, borage, camelia sinensis, black elder, apricots and walnuts (although I unknowingly planted those in the form of pits and nuts thrown in the compost heap in Autumn), pears, nashi pear, cherries, grapes, parsnips, asparagus, lemonbalm, tansy and more that I can’t remember at the moment.

45. ros
    Posted September 12, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

For the first time I am growing globe artichokes, gooseberries, blueberries and an olive tree. These are planted in our front garden along with a new herb garden,

46. blake
    Posted September 12, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Amaranth and peas. Lots of peas. So many peas I may start to photosynthesise…

47. Posted September 12, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

New plantings for us this season include crookneck zucchini, globe artichoke, catnip, okra and various lettuce vaarieites that i have not tried before. Loving the warm spring in these parts and watching existing plants respond to the seasonal change.

48. Posted September 14, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Reblogged this on Old Green Pastures and commented:
    My calendar arrives this with it has so much information. Grab your copy today.

49. Posted September 14, 2013 at 11:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

I am trying my luck for the first time with grape vines!!!!!! This year I also have kale and many heirloom tomatoes and pumpkin varieties. Very exciting!!!!!

50. Posted September 16, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks everyone!

51. di
    Posted September 19, 2013 at 9:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Have just prepared a new veggie bed and will be planting, for the first time, some shallots and celery seedlings very kindly given to us by a gentleman that we purchased some goods from via a for sale notice in the local paper. Thanks John.

52. Polly Woodward
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 7:36 am | Permalink | Reply

I’m planting baby corn for the first time. Also going to try beneficial support plants like mugwort, bergamot, yarrow and wormwood that I have never sown before. Would love this calendar but budget is maxed on trying to finish my raised garden beds before Christmas.

53. Posted December 11, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink | Reply

Bulls’ blood beetroot, scottish kale, amaranth and mezuna. I also found some Greek oregano which is taking off nicely in a spare piece of ground, Italian lavender, and clove pinks! I’m looking forward to putting them in some salads and maybe flavouring some cakes too. I am planning on planting some blueberries too But of course what is all this without harvesting? I devised my own version of a kick-arse Brazilian cherry chutney (sugar free) which goes awesomely with hard cheeses, preserved lemons, froze mulberries and made mulberry cordial, dried teas (rose petal, elderflower, rose geranium, lemon verbena), made harissa (great in stir fries!) and some lavender honey…. currently making a tincture too of peach pits, good for nausea where heat can’t be tolerated… and these are early days It’s such a good feeling!!

54. iowabookworks
    Posted December 12, 2013 at 7:11 am | Permalink | Reply

I’m an advisor to a school garden in Coralville, Iowa, U.S. The student body is very diverse so we plant comfort food from many cultures and prairie flowers.
    This year we will be planting our first orchard trees, peaches, cherries, and apples plus a berry patch with blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. 75% of the school receives free lunches so our garden focus is growing food for the students to harvest and take home. KUDOS for all you do to share the permaculture message!! Joyce Miller

1. […] 2014 Permaculture Calendar is Out! Would you like one? (milkwood.net) […]

2. […] Give a Permaculture 2014 Calendar. It’s printed on FSC recycled paper with vegetable inks. It’s got a moon planting guide embedded in it. […]