Costa and his Ladies

Back when Costa was setting up his verge garden (the one that now beams into Aussie homes every Saturday night on Gardening Australia), he proved that chicken tractors will work just about anywhere, even on the verge.

As part of the preparation of taking his verge from grass to community veggie patch, Costa made a great chicken tractor out of a table with wheels and chicken wire, into which he put his ‘ladies’ when he was outside working on the garden… here he is in the process of taking them back to their run in his backyard one evening. Chickens in the city. Gotta love them.

We can’t wait to see Costa at our Serious Backyard Veggies course later this month…

1. Annie
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 8:42 am | Permalink | Reply

Is there a photo anywhere of Costa’s table chicken tractor?

2. Annie
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 8:44 am | Permalink | Reply

oh, now I see a corner of the table tractor in the background – my eye was focused on the fore! Great, simple!

3. Posted November 8, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink | Reply

love that Costa and his beardy, chooky grin. Someone should make Costa gnomes for the garden.

4. Posted November 8, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

I would buy a Costa gnome! Instead of fishing, he could be set out on the verge with a chook under each arm! I don’t know what he did to those chooks but they actually look to be happy for him to be holding them. My girls would be having a fit if I picked them up! Costa…the chicken whisperer ;)

5. jillthelibrarian
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 12:01 am | Permalink | Reply

Love Costa! I wonder if he could tame Mabel my Australorpe who is very skittish, in contrast to Ada my Isa Brown who will tolerate a cuddle.

6. Posted November 9, 2012 at 4:45 am | Permalink | Reply

Fabulous hens, nothing like the scabby hens we have (even if their eggs are tasty)

7. Posted November 10, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Permalink | Reply