Hericium coralloides (coral tooth) mushrooms

Edible, native and delicious. Will Borowski’s been growing these beauties in his home mushroom cultivation setup on blocks of grain spawn.

Like many other mushrooms, once you know how, these beautiful fungi can be cloned and propagated at home (if you have a reliable source). After which point you can re-produce them indefinitely.

Using a very DIY ‘glove box’ as a still air, semi-sterile environment to clone mushrooms from shop-bought cuttings

Learning to propagate mycelium from mushroom samples

Will Borowski with a fully colonised block of spawn, ready to fruit

Well hello, Hericium!

If you’d like to learn the art of how to clone and cultivate mushrooms of many different types, for both inside and outside mushroom growing, we’re running another 2-day workshop with Will Borowski at Milkwood Farm next month, which will be fantastic:

Mushroom Cultivation: 13-14 Oct, Milkwood Farm

After that we’ll be hopefully starting up some proper (seasonal) mushroom cultivation at Milkwood Farm. Can’t wait!

>> More mushroom resources and blogposts here

Images of Hericium coralloides by Will Borowski

1. Posted September 30, 2012 at 9:14 am | Permalink | Reply

Wow. I thought it was an underwater photo at first glance.

2. Rauf
    Posted September 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

an I call it Noodles Mushroom ?

3. Posted September 30, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very cool. I didn’t know this was a cultivated species. A few years ago I started harvesting Hericium in N. California where I grew up. Typically finding them on decomposing Oak trees. Here are photos of two varieties: http://anthropogen.com/?s=hericium

4. Posted September 30, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yum! I will have to learn. I love mushies and as a semi-veggie sustainability type it makes sense to grow my own. Any ideas what varieties do well in Hobart?

5. Posted October 1, 2012 at 6:32 am | Permalink | Reply

Wonderful, more mushroom posts please

6. Posted October 1, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

Reblogged this on BlĕnзråĩДa and commented:
    Home made great mushrooms, I love it

7. Posted October 1, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very nice, I would love to have mushrooms like this at home!

8. Posted October 1, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Reblogged this on SunnyRomy.