Up-cycled door for the Earthbag Dome

No-one knows how old this door is – it came off a shed that pre-dates Nick’s family taking over this farm… bet you its maker never imagined that it would wind up keeping the wind out of a earthbag dome, high on the ridge at Milkwood Farm…

Shane sanded this door back, oiled it and added some beaut hinges (also scavenged). Then he put a little window in it, cut the top to fit the curve of the shape of the door hole, made a curved door frame (no mean feat) made a step, and there you go. One solid door, good for at least another 100 years.

Doorway during construction

Completo

1. Posted November 7, 2012 at 7:10 am | Permalink | Reply

would love to know how Shane did the curved door frame… wood? concrete?

2. SUE
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 7:26 am | Permalink | Reply

Great Job! Any photos of the frame-making process for us mere mortals to aspire to try?

3. eremophila
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 7:27 am | Permalink | Reply

It’s magnificent!! Congrats to Shane on superb workmanship!

4. Posted November 7, 2012 at 8:09 am | Permalink | Reply

Wow!! Awesome!

5. Sophie
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 9:12 am | Permalink | Reply

The finished product looks fantastic…….Also I have some photos of the curved frame in construction if you would like (i think this is what i helped with, but correct me if I’m wrong Kirsten!)

• Posted November 7, 2012 at 10:41 am | Permalink | Reply

Yes please Sophie, I don’t have any fotos of the door frame construction… And thank you for your help x

6. Warren Clendenning
    Posted November 7, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink | Reply

I was very impressed with the Earthbag dome when I was at the Farm on the last weekend. Worth considering using these materials when I am building structures in the future.

7. Posted November 7, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Can we ‘borrow’ Shane for a few weeks? I bet it was harder than it looked, but you folk tend to make things look easy!

8. Posted November 7, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Do you need a handle for that door?
    I can make one for you if you like….
    make some out of old scrap iron … old railway dog or whatever.
    let me know and it’ll be done

Speedy

• Posted November 7, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oooo no it doesn’t have a handle currently, jut a key lock… That would be awesome Paul! :)

9. Posted November 7, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

This is fantastic! I have a crush on doors and this one may be at the top of my list!

10. Posted November 7, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

OK, I’ll get onto it.
    What thickness is the door? ,
    so I can make a thumb-latch to fit.
    and does it open in or outward?

11. Jacqui Leonard
    Posted November 22, 2012 at 8:47 am | Permalink | Reply

Absolutely love your website. Awesome & inspiring! Thanks.

12. Posted November 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ok, I’m working on the door handle today.
    moaking it from an old railway dog.

One Trackback

1. [...] in its way). Prepare for lots of close-ups – hopefully you’ll get the idea… As mentioned here, Shane did an incredible job with the doorway and door (as he does with everything else), providing [...]